Monday, October 4, 2010

Two Weeks

The last two weeks have been Morgan-filled and have just flown right by (well, in a sleep deprived blur). I can not say enough how helpful and humbling it has been to have the help of family and friends during this time. I've told Tyler several times that I simply can't imagine how a single mother or father even deals with the first few weeks of a newborn's life if they don't have support.
We've had so much support that last night was the first evening when I was actually home alone with Morgan. We survived- although I'm SUPER sleepy and not quite sure what I'm doing writing this instead of sleeping as she is in her bassinet dozing. We struggled with maintaining her weight the first week and had two pediatrician appointments for weight checks- as she went from 9lb9.1oz at birth to 8lb12oz. within a week (they don't like it if they lose 10% of their birth weight and she got close). However, as of last Thursday she was climbing the scale again and I think we've found a happy median with breastfeeding and then supplementing if she is still hungry until she ends up in a milk coma of happiness.
Oh, the faces she makes when her tummy is full! I LOVE holding her afterwards and watching her little eyes flutter with contentment and roll back as she smiles. Yes, she's learning to smile! She had a few attempts last week but her first real smile was for Daddy on Sunday- a big, wide, open-mouth grin that couldn't be mistaken. I tried to capture it on camera but was unsuccessful. Daddy got her to do so by tickling her lips with the soothie once she was full and drifting in and out of sleep. Now, it's become a sort of game. After feeding she won't really take the bottle or soothie, but she'll make faces and do the eye things I mentioned- but she LOVES it if you rub the tip of the soothie on her lips and she'll turn them up in a BIG grin. It's adorable and makes me love her that much more- even at the 3am feeding times.
The other night we experienced the 'other end' of this 'eating to contentment' thing. Little Morgan is our child for sure and is a very gassy baby- holding nothing back! With the breast milk her bowel movements tend to come with a large, loud passing of gas (which we lovingly refer to as a shart). Well, Daddy picked her up and was headed in to change her following one such event. I mentioned to him as he picked her up to change her, "make sure she is done!" As he undid her diaper I walked into the room to help. He checked the results and noted, "That wasn't very much..." right as she projectile sharted again. This shart had good aim because she not only hit mommy's shirt and daddy's hands but also the side of the crib, the rug, and her onesie! I can't do the scene justice- we just stood there in dismay as she let out a relieved sigh and we giggled madly at the entire thing. The situation called for a sponge bath and mid-bath I held her up (nude) for Tyler to rub her back (do you see where this is going?!?)- and suddenly I felt warmth all down my chest and nightgown. I had the pee on me- as did her rug. Twice in one sitting. Our little girl is an overachiever.
The other night we were laying in our 'big girl bed' (our bed) and Morgan got to reach out and touch Kibbles for the first time. I think she was fairly sleepy (Morgan, not Kibbles), so she didn't really react that much, but Kibbles didn't seem to mind. She's been good with Morgan but a tad distant. She prefers to be in the other room most of the time, but still makes her way into our bedroom at night to paw us and cuddle. She tends to keep her distance from Morgan, though, instead sitting by my feet when I nurse or on the back of the chair when Morgan is in her bassinet. I like to think she is standing guard.
With today's two-week mark I am cleared to drive again! I think we might do a test-run this week and take Morgan out to gg thompson's for the day. I also think we might drop by the school on Friday for the all-school cookout planned in honor of homecoming. I've had four students drop by to meet Morgan and one who sent a gift. I'll have to keep those pictures (of them holding her) for her scrapbook.
My incision is healing fairly well, but Tyler did note that it looks like it may be slightly open in one tiny area- the same area where some drainage can be found. EW. EW. Yuck. We'll keep an eye on that.
Now, I think I'll go catch a wink of sleep before stinky is bright-eyed and ready for her next feeding.
n

My Stick Family from WiddlyTinks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment