Saturday, October 2, 2010

Our Birth Story

On Sunday, September 19th Tyler and I began preparations for the birth of our daughter. Although I had plenty on my mind, I wanted to remember the day as being one of family and togetherness- so I invited my mom and maternal grandparents in for lunch. I figured that I wanted to eat something delishous and BBQ hamburgers and brats fit the bill. Everyone arrived around 1:00p and we started grilling as I continued to work on lesson plans on and off. The food was delicious- along with the BBQ we munched on baked beans, shrimp, grandma's homemade salsa and chips, and of course one of her much appreciated pies (apple).

The day was memorable, albeit stressful and emotional with trying to balance everything I needed and wanted to get done before Morgan's arrival. After a last-minute stop by my classroom, Tyler and I hit the road and headed for Overland Park Regional Medical Center.
We arrived to the hospital with our bags in hand and were passed by many smiling individuals who took the cue from my belly, our anxious look, and the bags and congratulated us on becoming parents. Then, it was up to the third floor and to the nurse's station.

We were greeted by the same nurse that tended to me when we went in for our 'scare' before 36 weeks and she gave me a gown and directions on how to prepare to get situated in our labor & delivery room. At about 8:15 or so they started my IV (which stung/burned for a bit and was in my right wrist) and started to administer fluids to boost up and hydrate my system. Then, we started the Cervidil to get my body into 'baby mode'- I was about 1cm dilated when we arrived at the hospital.

Although the bed was a tad uncomfortable, I slept through most of the night and was having minor contractions by about 1:00am. Tyler had left around midnight to spend some time with his brother (who just got off work) since I really wasn't feeling anything too serious. In the morning, Dr. Moulten was there early to check me and see how we had progressed overnight. I was dilated to about a 2 and feeling more regular contractions, but it seemed like they would be regular and intense for about an hour or two and then die out and I'd be able to sleep. He advised us at that point that we were not exactly making the progress he would hope to see and that we would continue and he would be back to check me later that afternoon, as he had a full clinic to tend to.

We had a FABULOUS L&D nurse on Monday named Jackie. She was very kind and attentive throughout the day, sending 'come on baby' vibes and talking about her own two children. However, little Morgan didn't seem to be too intent on making an entrance as Jackie checked me a couple of times (OUCH) and no real progress/change was made.
Doctor Moulten checked in around noon and advised us of our options:

1) Quit the Pitocin and try everything again on Tuesday
2) Opt for a C-Section
3) Continue with the Pitocin until the evening and reassess then

At that point we chose option three and continued to hope that baby Morgan would make her move(s). At around 5:00p Doctor Moulten returned, Jackie having contacted him before hand and let him know that we were not progressing. At that point, Tyler and I had a serious talk about our options, emotions, etc.

We were aware that Morgan's size was a concern and that the doctor was expecting some serious damage (to be polite) if I were to have a natural delivery. We discussed the chance of shoulder dystocia and the risk of my narrow pelvis and her size. I shared with Tyler that my biggest fear was if we DID do the c-section option that I would have to be put under general anesthesia and would miss her birth and first cries. After talking with Dr. Moulten and going over the risks and options, we decided that it was in our best interest to schedule the c-section as Morgan's head was not making its way down.

Doctor Moulten told us he would return around 6:30p Monday evening and we would proceed from there, but we did continue the Pitocin in an attempt to see if she would progress. At around 7:00p Doctor Moulten was back and noted that the anesthesiologist would be dropping by to discuss options with us and that there was a delivery in the operating room currently but that we were next in line. Our anesthesiologist, Dr. Hagen, came in shortly thereafter and calmed my nerves when he said that he was willing to try a spinal block for the operation. My biggest fear at that point was not being able to be lucid for the delivery. Dr. Hagen knew and worked with the doctor who performed my back surgery in '99 (Dr. Asher), and he seemed very experienced and yet down-to-earth. He reminded me of Dr. Lovett, one of my professors from ESU, which was funny.

At about 7:30 Tyler started to dress in his funny little yellow gown, hat, and shoe scrub covers. We prepped my bed to roll down to the operating room, and let my mom (who was in the waiting room) know that we were about to go in. As we rolled down the hallway I nervously looked around, trying to take everything in while also process the concept that in less than an hour we would have our baby girl. When we arrived at operating room number one they had me get out of my bed and walk to the operating table, since I hadn’t had any medication yet, I was able to do so. It was up on the table and some small-talk with Dr. Hagen to soothe my nerves as he prepared to insert the needle(s) for the spinal block. Tyler sat in front of me, holding my hands and practicing my breathing techniques (funny that THIS is where they really came in handy) as they scrubbed down my back and found a good place to put the injection(s). I had to really fight not to start shaking at this point, as I needed to be perfectly still. I worked hard through the pain to arch my back and push my abdomen in and back out for Dr. H. It took about 5-10 minutes (or so it seemed) and Tyler and Dr. H telling me I was doing great, before the procedure was done. Once it was, Dr. H and the nurses rolled me onto my side just as my legs began to go numb. It was a very odd feeling- I noted that as a control freak it was VERY hard to deal with being so OUT of control with my body.

As we prepared for the impending surgery, I listened to hear that the radio was on in the O.R. and Tyler giggled when he realized the song was Big Me by the Foo Fighters. If that’s not foreshadowing, I don’t know what is. With my legs numb, Dr. Moulten and Dr. Hagen did a few ‘tests’ to see if I could feel any pain. I could not, but could feel a general tugging as they began to perform the surgery. Everything from about my armpits down was numb but I did start to feel some very intense pains in my shoulders as they carried on; the nurse explained that the pain was directed there since it was the one place I could feel. The big blue curtain separated me from everything going on with the surgery, but the nurse had asked if we wanted a ‘play by play’- to which I answered ‘NO’ and Tyler answered ‘YES’ to at the very same time. HA! About half way through, as I started to ache and shake, I told her that a play-by-play would be alright. It was kind of a blur throughout the surgery but I recall very vividly the point where they told me her head was almost out- Tyler stood up to look over the curtain to see them bring it out. Then, they told me that they needed to push on my chest to get the rest of her out and that I would feel a lot of pressure. They weren’t joking! A lot of pressure later I heard our baby girl’s first gargle-esque cries. After that, Tyler left my side to take up Morgan’s side as they examined and weighed her. I heard the doctors continue to talk and I complained to my nurse about the intense shoulder pain, which had now intensified. I heard Dr. Moulten grow a tad concerned as he relayed to the other nurse to order some type of medicine because my uterus was ‘flaccid’ and not firming up as it should. The nurse told me I’d have to wait for more pain meds since this was priority at the time. Quickly after receiving the meds my uterus started to do whatever it was they wanted it to do and concern faded. I heard a nurse announce that Morgan was 9lb. 9.1oz. and I remember saying something along the lines of being glad I had the c-section and that Dr. M wasn’t too far off with the weight estimate. Tyler later told me that as he was watching them check and tend to Morgan the song playing on the stereo was Hootie & The Blowfish’s Hold My Hand and ironically enough, he was holding to her little hand when it came on.

Soon I was all stitched up and the doctors and nurses were rolling me from the O.R. table back onto my L&D bed (which was mighty uncomfortable). I was SUPER groggy as they rolled me back down the hallway and to my original room. Within the next thirty minutes I found myself fighting to stay awake and lucid- it certainly helped when they brought Morgan in and put her next to me to nurse. The lactation nurse was there to help position her and get her to latch, which she had no trouble with. I was so very out of it that this part is mostly a blur, but I remember stroking her hair and touching her face. My mom came in shortly thereafter to see her and to say goodbye before leaving the hospital.

Soon, Morgan was put into her own little carrier and both she and I were wheeled to the place they take babies and mammas after they’ve given birth. This room was SO much smaller and I almost cried, missing our nurse, Jackie, from L&D and our big, fancy room. However, we had the baby with us, so that made up for the change of venue. Our nurse, Becky, though was very kind and sweet and ended up ‘suggesting’ that Morgan come with her to the nursery for the evening so we could get some rest. I was a little skeptical, but it ended up that Morgan’s temperature was low and she wasn’t regulating it very well, so an evening in the nursery under the heat lamp was required. I was still very groggy, so I slept pretty hard and they brought her in soon enough to nurse and say ‘hello’. Soon enough, her ‘birthday’ was over and it was time for mommy and daddy to transition into the ‘world of baby’- a transition that we’re still working on but catching the hang of rather quickly.



My Stick Family from WiddlyTinks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment